Friday, August 31, 2018

Have Skirt, Will Travel - Chicago

A few weeks ago I went on a business trip. When booking my plane tickets I discovered some things had changes in the years since I had last flown. Unless I wanted to pay extra, I could only bring 1 bag that fit under the seat in front of me. I'm not the lightest packer to be honest, so this took some thought. Thankfully it was summer and my skirts don't take up much space.

The trip: 4 days in Chicago, of which 2 would be in a seminar room that might be excessively air conditioned.

The plan: Wear the heaviest clothing on the plane(jeans, long sleeves, and a sweatshirt). Bring only 1 pair of shoes, that needed to be versatile enough for running and walking. Leave laptop at home, relay on phone for all computing needs. Pack snacks and tea, so I have something if there is nothing there I can eat. Take full advantage that my running skirts can double as everyday wear, takes up very little space, and can easily be washed in a hotel room sink.

I may have over packed honestly. Snacks, notepads, purse and 5 outfits. What's missing is my run belt and hydration bottles that I brought as well. 




The adventure

These sneakers have been good to me, but they were also ready for retirement. Perfect for one last running adventure. 
Flight was fairly uneventful, as I always wish flights to be. Once in Chicago, I made my way to the hotel to change, and headed out to explore.

A summary of my running that day. The Rosemont activity was getting from hotel to CTA station to head into the Loop.
Once off the train it was time to find the park. It was HOT out that day, so I was grateful for my water bottles.  It was a 2 mile journey from CTA stop to Lincoln Park Zoo. I enjoyed seeing what I suspect is the parts of Chicago where people live, rather than just the tourist highlights. A long time ago someone described Chicago as similar to Boston but bigger, and with worse weather. For what I saw, I would agree with that description as least for the look and feel. I wasn't there long enough to form a weather opinion. Sure it was hot, but it was August and Boston was currently dealing with rolling thunderstorms.

The Zoo was amusing. I started with the farm area and got to pet goats, then headed into the main zoo to find food.

I made it!

Fantastic view on a bridge of the Chicago skyline. I'm not sunburnt, that is what my face looks like when I get really hot. 

Pokestop land. Seriously this place was great for Pokemon Go. I collected a bunch to trade back home.
When I was done at the zoo. Sadly I missed the penguins. The gorillas were amusing. A few had a 'I can't deal with this heat either' looks. In one of the monkey areas, there was a little baby, holding onto Mom and nursing. Another monkey who I assume was an older sibling based on size, kept coming up and pulling the baby monkey's head back, unlatching them from Mom. Baby would have this silly open mouth smile and Mom would smack the shoo away the older sibling. This completely reminded me of my adventures tandem nursing my boys. I know her pain.

In an attempt to avoid another 2 miles run in the heat, I hopped onto the bus to get back to the train. I made a mistake. I ended up in Union Station(after what felt like FOREVER). The trains there go to Rosemont, but it was the equivalent to the commuter train in Boston. My CTA pass didn't work on those trains. I headed off to find a stop on the blue line to get get back. 

Eventually I got to Rosemont, and met my best friend on the way to the hotel. She even brought me a bottle of water. She's the best.

 We ate tons of BBQ while we were there. This is the amazing brisket pastrami. Yum!!

We had a great time Pokemon hunting, and generally catching up. The best visits with friends are the ones where you have enough time to talk that you start talking about nothing and it feels like you are back to when you could spend what felt like unlimited time together.

Bestie even puts up with my silly selfie habit.

Saturday I was on my own and after 2 days of learning, I needed to run. The heat hadn't changed much so I hit the hotel treadmill. The guy that showed up to lift weights was likely amused(annoyed/ignored) by my selfie taking. 

Dressed and ready for dinner with some of the other attendees. This is totally a running outfit btw.

I almost never drink, but when I do it's generally high end scotch. A celebration drink. Oban 12 year if you are wondering.  

The flight home again uneventful. I had a great weekend. Hopefully I can return to Chicago with the family and spend several days exploring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment