Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Hampton Half Review

TLDR: I beat my last(first) half marathon time by 39 minutes! It was windy but that didn't bother me. I splashed my way through puddles, got hit by a wave and had a fantastic time. My husband was amazing and supportive at the race.


I got a new PR at the Hampton Half. I was 39 minutes faster than my previous half marathon! The weather and the race itself was an adventure.

On Friday before the race, the north east was hit with a Nor'easter. While it wasn't cold enough for snow the coastal flooding was impressive and destructive. Every few hours there would be a new update on the flooding at Hampton Beach, the very roads I was planning to run on Sunday. Loco explained the conditions quite well is this post event write-up.


I'd be lying if I said I was calm about his, I was freaking out. Weather predicted temperatures in the high 30's, with 18 mph winds. If the temp is over 32, I'm comfortable, I know what to wear, I'm good. The 18 mph wind though, that was a problem. Thankfully a good friend loaned me her running windbreaker. I went back and forth about what to wear, do I wear my hardcore all the layers outfit or the outfit with a cure floral skirt? In the end I sat down with my paper running journal and reviewed my notes on weather, temps and clothing. I decided to take a bit of a risk and go with my cute outfit, on the thought that while i may be cold in the beginning, after a few miles I'd be warm and I didn't want to overheat for 13.1 miles. 

With the clothing question solved I watched the weather and the race updates. I began to made jokes about which set of running shoes to wear. 

In the end, the race coordinators warned us we might be running though water around mile 5. I opted for my older, mostly retired shoes in case the salt water destroyed them. I also opted to just wear compression socks and skip adding wool socks. I wanted my feet to dry fast and the compression socks would dry out faster than anything else. I packed toes warmers and hand warmers in my run belt "just in case". I didn't need them, because I had them.

Flat Johanna

The morning of the race went mostly as planned, I got up, and ate some oatmeal with almond butter and drank a cup of coffee with some matcha in it.  My amazing husband put together a snack bag for me post race, since I can't eat the food that would be offered. I was planning to just get dressed, but I opted to take a quick shower instead and try my best to keep my hair dry. We left Nashua a bit later than we intended and had to stop for gas as well. The drive was fairly uneventful expect for the Lexus going 10 miles under the speed limit on 111 who flipped us off when we passed him. I went through all levels of anxiety about the race, from we're going to be late I won't be able to check in in time, find a bathroom before I start running, to what was I thinking, I get nervous around people and there are going to be so many people there, and oh no I forgot the canned goods for the free hat. My bestie was kind enough to deal with my panicked texts that morning. Eventually we arrived about an hour later than I wanted to and hunted for parking. We parked quick a bit further away than we expected. 

The ballroom was crowded as we made our way to the check in table. I had to get in two lines, as I had forgotten which last name I registered under. Bib in hand we looked for a place to switch my jacket, and bumped into friends I had planned to run with. I picked up my shirt and found the secret bathroom that had no lines. Then it was just time to wait, which was less since we got there later than expected. A quick picture with my local She Runs This Town members and then off to the staring line.  At this point I'd separated from my friends I was to run with,  I sent them a few texts about where I was waiting way in the back. The slowest runners not only get a better dollar per minute value out of a race entry, we also get to run further since we start in the back.

I started up Road ID so that my friends could follow along and the husband would know when to go outside to cheer. I also started up the 20k Zombie Run race mission. Along with those I had my garmin watch tracking with my heart rate monitor. The race bib had chip tracking as well, but that wouldn't give me my splits.

The anthem, a moment of silence and we were off. I couldn't find the flag to stand towards for the anthem, but I did hold my hand over my heart facing the general direction of the crowd in hopes that one of them could see the flag.

I started out a bit too far back and had to do some passing and such to get settled in a good place. I looked around for my friends but I know they are faster so it was unlikely I would find them. I was going along at a decent pace for me. My fingers were cold as always, but I was grinning and happy. Just like the last half, I had the urge to cry as the race started but that passed. I don't think it was sad crying, just emotional release type crying. I grabbed water at the first water stop and it was COLD. My body instantly said no absolutely not under any circumstances do you drink ice water. I thankfully was carrying water in my running belt, and tailwind which was closer to body temp so I didn't need to use the course support ice water.

A baby wave, an hour later this was much more impressive.
After the first small loop, I passed the finish line and noticed people with half marathon bib intermingled with the 5k bibs. I had a mini panic, would I get lost, would I accidentally take the 5k turn and make a major mistake. I was so busy looking, checking and making sure I didn't make this mistake that I nearly missed seeing my husband take pictures of me at the 5k turn around point.



After that I took some pictures of the waves crashing, high tide wasn't for a while. I saw some surfers and realized that I was far from hardcore. I'm sure the waves were amazing for them, though very very cold. After the surfers I bumped into my friends, who were taking a walk break, so I walked with them and ran with them for a bit. We found the "flooded" section of the road. It wasn't that bad, I embraced the wet feet and moved on. My more experienced running friend said it was Gu time, so I followed his lead and started consuming one of the smores gu he picked up for me. The three of us chatted as we walked and ran for a short while. I joked that the last time I was on Hampton beach I likely smoked half a pack of cigarettes. After a while I was feeling really good and wanted to start running so I bid them the best and kept going.

The known course flooding.

At this point we were running the long loop. I was still having a great time just dancing along to my music. Sometime near mile 8 I had a very strange episode. I best describe it as a vagus nerve hiccup. My vision went fuzzy on the sides and I wasn't sure if I needed to poop, puke, or pass out. It was a very scary few seconds and after I walked a bit while I tried to figure out if I was going to finish the race or walk off the course. I tried to remember where the bathrooms were on the course and realized I never saw a single port-o-john. Thinking back I suspect the wind and waves, made port-o-john setups impossible and potentially dangerous to those inside or passing by. I had some gas pain, so I just walked, and stretched until that finally passed, afterwards I felt better and comfortable continuing to run.

I passed a few houses with people and children out front cheering us on. A toddler gave me a high five. Eventually I got to the nutrition table on the course, I grabbed a mocha clif shot to try some other time. A race is not the place to play will my stomach handle this games. After the gas pains, I wasn't sure I could consume anymore fuel. There was an annoying person asking the runners to smile and joking about smile or we add 10 minutes to your finishing time. I'm guessing this person is not a runner. I kept taking right turns and knew the ocean was coming up soon. I saw the 10 miles marker and did the Only 5k left! dance. Then leg cramps started to set it, I've never had them cramp like this before. I took one of my electrolyte pills and sipped a bunch of tailwind. I was nervous about more gu and no toilets.

Once I saw the ocean I knew I was almost done, I also noticed the course had been shifted over. THE WAVES WERE COMING OVER THE SEA WALL!!! I thought my feet got wet at mile 5, I was mistaken. The last two miles were covered in tiny rocks , piles of seaweed, piles of sand, chunks of asphalt and water, ankle deep water. There was no point even trying to run around it, as with any good rainstorm, once you are soaked, you are soaked, I drove right in and splashed my way along. I reminded a few sad faced runners that rough conditions lead to better stories. What is hard to express with words was the sound, the constant roar of the ocean.  Waves were crashing over the seawall and unless i wanted to stop and watch it would be hard to predict when it would happen. I was hit with sea mist, which was nothing, then a wave did come over and there was not much I could do but laugh as it covered my feet and pushed me to the side. There were piles of sea foam everywhere telling me water had landed there very recently.  A woman in big boots was standing in a foot of water trying to keep a drain clear. I completely forgot to take any pictures at this point. I was just cruising along faster than I expected and enjoying myself. I found a few good ones on the Loco FB Event, but I won't add them to the blog post without permission.

Right before the finish line was my husband again, and he ran with me(him on the sidewalk for a bit) while I crossed the finish line and saw that my goal of beating 3 hours happened in a big way. My legs were still cramping like crazy but I just kept moving, found a banana, posed for some pictures looked to see my friends but no luck and then finally the cold got to me as I headed into the building to find a place to put my legs up to drain.

You can see where the wave hit me. 

With all that, I had a wonderful time at the race and smiled the whole way, without prompting. I'm seriously considering this race again next year, but instead of just driving up for the day, renting a condo in the area and enjoying the beach with the family.

If stats are your thing, here are mine.


Escaping Hampton required managing flooded roads on the way out in the car.


Phone was attached to charger, thus funny angle of picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment