Friday, February 9, 2018

Marathon Plans and Progress

Now that I did a breakdown of what went wrong for my half marathon, and how would avoid those same pitfalls for the next big race. I thought I’d share where I am at.

I registered for the Gate City Marathon in October.

Step 1 Choose Program: Hal Higdon Novice 1 training program

Step 2: Put Program into excel to know date of each week. This gets me a start date.

Step 3: Pick a half marathon to run. I'm running The Hampton Half(a week before planned, but there are not many options when you live in New England).


Step 4: Add to spreadsheet and important events happening. Oh look a wedding the same weekend as the 20 mile run. 

Step 5: Add schedule to planner with 5 tiny flags per week.

Step 6: Review Crosstraining options (hate Bike, Rowing OK, oh look strength training classes)

Step 7: Wait

Step 8: try to run 1-3 times a week even if it’s only a mile just to get used to it. Make note of clothing needed for various weather

Step 9: Start a cross training class to get through the first week of EVERYTHING HURTS

Step 10: Begin Training

I’ve already completed the first 3 weeks of training and I’m halfway through my 4th week. Saturday I’ll meet some local runners and run 9 miles.

I’ll admit to not following the program perfectly. I came up short on miles the first week, then I stopped using a treadmill and embraced the cold. My goal is to get the miles, not to worry about getting them on the perfect days.  This week I ran Tuesday and Wednesday, I rested yesterday. I’ll run tonight with local runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment